HSF Preservation Workroom
The resources you need for research, rehabilitation and repair
Our Preservation Workroom is available for people researching the history of their property, or planning rehabilitation or repair of historic features.
The Preservation Workroom is on the first floor of the R.R. Smith Center for History & Art. Our offices are located on the 3rd floor and open to the public, Monday through Friday from 9am – 5pm.
We suggest that you make an appointment, although drop-ins are welcome. We suggest that you bring a digital camera for recording images.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment or additional information.
At a glance:
- Monday through Friday from 9am – 5pm
- 20 South New Street, Staunton, Virginia 24401
- Wi-Fi access
- Date construction with historic maps
- Access specialized books about rehabilitation
- Identify architectural styles
- Review period paint colors
Architectural inventories of all buildings in Staunton’s historic districts
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps:
- 1886, 1891, 1894, 1899 (copies)
- 1904, 1909, 1914, 1921 and 1929 (originals)
Also see Library of Congress: Digital Sanborn Map Collection (Staunton, Virginia)
Other historic maps of the city:
- 1870 Hotchkiss insert & 1877 Gray’s Map (copies)
Also see Library of Congress: Hotchkiss Map Collection (Virginia)
- 1905 Building zone map
- Staunton Development Company maps
Historic photos of Staunton
Facade Improvements files
Technical resources including Trust’s Preservation Briefs
Preservation periodicals including Old House Journal and Traditional Building