HISTORIC STAUNTON FOUNDATION
providing leadership, education and advocacy to help preserve our
historic community est 1971
Many claim no single person influences Staunton's architectural
appearance more than T. J. Collins. When all of the facts are taken
into consideration, it is impossible to disagree.
From 1891-1911, Collins designed and remodeled over 200 buildings
and structures within Staunton and throughout the near by region,
including: Harrisonburg, Lexington, Waynesboro and Orange County.
Collins architectural range of style spanned from Romanesque
Revival to Chateauesque to Queen Anne. As well as many others.
His designs can be seen in the Second Empire style Eakleton Hotel
(now the R. R. Smith Center for History and Art), the Chateauesque/Queen
Anne C.W. Miller House, the St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church,
the Switzer Building, the C&O Train Station, and the Stonewall
Other T. J. Collins designs include the well known White Star
Mills building housing Mill Street Grill, and the Augusta
After retiring, his son Sam continued in the tradition of his
father and designed hundreds of buildings in the Staunton area and
beyond until his own retirement in the 1950s.
Joseph Johnson, grandson of T. J., recently retried the family
firm and in 1997 donated the Collins' architectural drawings and
historic support materials to Historic Staunton Foundation. (See
HSF's Resources and Services page for more information)
Historic Staunton Foundation is in the process of conserving the
T. J. Collins and Son architectural drawings (over1,100 project
files) in our archives. Tax-Deductable donations made to this effort
are gratefully accepted.
Historic Districts | FAQ |
Photo Gallery |
Walking Tours |
TJ Collins |
Services & Resources |
Historic Staunton Foundation
· 20 S. New Street, Staunton Virginia 24401 · 540-885-7676 ·